"learning" OS and more; was use of OS in a training for trainers

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Thu Jul 8 22:56:39 PDT 2004

Greetings folks

I'm just in the middle of a OS Facilitator Co-Learning workshop - always
recalling with gratitude to the wonderful resources gleaned from Lisa Heft,
Michael Herman and so many others on this list - and have been fascinated
by the rich contributions of the current group of eight 'seekers' on this
trip....
Once again I am in awe of the power of Open Space as a process for engaging
people in their own learning - the topic for the Open Space 'practice'
chosen by the group today was "What makes Open Space Meaningful for
Sponsors, Facilitators and Participants?"
By the end of the five hour 'event' (no declared experienced OS
facilitators among them while most have participated in at least one OS
event) - they had shared so much wisdom, knowledge and skill that
tomorrow's day promises many more riches and I will continue to learn from
them about OS. There is no need to seek control of any learning outcomes
with folks like these - the fact that they are ready and ripe for this,
evidenced by their choice to be here, is sure sign that they will create
the 'nutrient-rich environment' in which to take responsibility for
declaring their passion and constructing their own learning - so tomorrow I
will just listen attentively to their responses from today, tell a few old
'politically-incorrect' jokes and stories (always true of course), laugh
and languish in the comfort of sacred space in the presence of
Spirit....and this is 'WORK'..???

The past two days has reminded me of why I do this...a trinity of
'homecomings' as a facilitator:
First Homecoming -  when I first experienced an OS event as a participant
Second Homecoming - when I facilitated my first OS
Third Homecoming -  when I facilitated my first OS Co-Learning workshop
and I've been on the way 'home' ever since...

One of the participants today created a wee bit of a stir in the closing
circle..
I had expressed my amazement at the depth and richness of the group's
engagement with each other and the content of their conversations - he
asked if I really meant what I said or was I merely flattering the group at
the end of a long day....
I 'breathed in my curiosity' at his comment (thanks Jack R for the Two
Hands of Dialogue) and responded that 'in this space, if I don't believe in
the truth of what I speak, then I cannot, and will not, facilitate Open
Space' - we went on to have a highly energised conversation and group
discussion on the need to genuinely believe in the principles of the
process and the risks/dangers to self, to sponsor and to participants if we
are not able or willing to 'walk our talk' or indeed to 'talk our walk' (so
that my speaking expresses the beliefs that emerge from my own lived
experience - not merely second-hand truths)
For me this is one of the core aspects of OS facilitation - without which I
am unlikely to experience a 'homecoming' in the space -
a genuine, deep and unwavering belief in, and passion for, the spiritual
depth of this service to self and others...

I must off to sleep and prepare for the treasures to be discovered tomorrow
- thanks for the 'listening, List'

Brendan

  The core of all this is (as you point out) Letting Go -- and