ideas, action, etc

Lucas Gonzalez lgs0a at yahoo.es
Tue Jul 6 02:49:38 PDT 2004

> Could the 300 or so subscribers to oslist do an on line OS on the
> global questions or on a particular current crisis?

> You might find the politicians lurking about on the list looking for
> all the really clever ideas that would emerge.

I can almost imagine *that* happening!  :)

But I don't think I'll wait for "them".  :)

Seriously, I think "ideas" are "possibilities" - it's very important to
have them.  It's essential.  In my simplistic outline, I think we only
change direction
- when external forces drive us to,
- or when we see an alternative which we like better and feel motivated
to take it.

So for "relatively painless change" (building an ark before the flood
and not after), we do need to see in advance and have those "ideas" in
our minds.

But those ideas, I think, are not enough.

I read here that people experienced in change (I'm not) talk about
"passion and responsibility", and I think those are key.  A 300+,
2000+, whatever size "think-tank" *may* come up with clever ideas -
which may remain "ideas" until the end of time, just as cafés are not
linked to parliaments.  (Not yet, anyway.)  And even parliaments are
sometimes just like cafés, in the very frequent case that laws (hah!)
are not "made real" by real people.

I still haven't personally tried OS (getting closer!), so I don't know
how "change" really works, but I think "clever ideas" are usually not
enough - unless they are passed on, moving, and enactable by
individuals.

And even then, the ideas that appear clever on paper often need to be
"localized".  Just as an example, how do I recycle at home?  That needs
my own passion and responsibility.  My own attention and thinking and
coming up with local possibilities.  And later, it had better become a
habit quick (say, in a week or so), or otherwise I'll simply forget my
initial good intentions.

So maybe the 300+ group might want to come up with ways to make those
extra steps ("passed on, moving, enactable, localised, rutinised")
happen?  (Or maybe things are not like that at all?)

It's quite a challenge, I think.  Many technologically inclined people
are trying to build internet tools - blogs and aggregators, irc, wikis,
be-the-media, etc.  Others see much more sense in working directly with
people (often with their backs "reasonably" turned on the internet).

I wonder what "next steps" we can imagine ... and make real?

Oh, I don't really know. :)

Lucas

Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es