"learning" OS and more; was use of OS in a training for trainers

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 04:08:13 PDT 2004

Two marginal comments, Harrison:

--- Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

> Having said all
> that, I think it is also true that it then may take
> a life time to "learn"
> to do it really well. But it is learning of an odd
> sort. In fact it is
> mostly un-learning of much of what we previously
> taken to be "gospel" when
> it comes to working with groups

Why do you say that it is "learning of an odd sort"?

I am more and more convinced that, except for trivial
matters, "learning" always implies "un-learning" (of
previous concepts or habitudes, that are no longer
right - and sometimes they were never right..).

So, more an more, I think that "learning" and
"unlearning" are the same thing (or the two faces of
the same coin, if you prefer). Exactly like learning
and transformation are "the same thing".

The point is that we are not normally counscious of
this. And we think it is odd what is normal rule of
life. Learning without unlearning that is odd...

> The core of all this is (as you point
> out) Letting Go -- and
> being comfortable with doing that. (...) I
> am not sure that you can
> "learn to Let Go" -- but the whole process of
> thinking about that and taking
> some first steps seems to go better with some
> friends and fellow travelers
> in attendance. Strange -- we have real problems
> giving up something we never
> had in the first place!

I think you are referring that one must learn to give
up control - that one didn't have in the first place.
But the point is that in "letting go" one is not
giving up control. What one is giving up is the
conviction/illusion that one is in control.

But convictions and illusions are "real things" when
they have been "learned" by people. And illusions are
probably the most difficult things to unlearn.

>From sunny Lisbon

Artur

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail