Silence

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Jan 25 16:38:36 PST 2004

Ashley and Artur...what Mik said.

Basically prayer (or maybe more precisely meditation) is the exercise
whereby we focus ourselves on a silent spot within and then open
ourselves to fully and truly experience the world as it really is.  That
means all the sounds and sensations that envelop us: we experience them
acutely as we become more and more aware of our connection to the
greater whole, which is what prayer and meditation is about for me.
Also, when someone is leading a prayer, I find myself very focused on
that person's words, sounds which are obviously "out there."

Reflection on the other hand is what happens when we turn the spotlight
inwards, and as Mik said, we concentrate deeply on our own internal
sounds and images and find ourselves blocking out the world from our
minds.

Both are good and important forms of silence in my life.

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada