Unbearable lightness of open management

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 11:39:32 PST 2004

My research of human resource and OD types interaction with OS
(primarily in UK) has begun and initial patterns suggest these 3 blocks:
1.Corporations- haven't heard of OS

2.Consultants - Aware but (block loop 1) wouldn't know how to sell  lack
of structure, NB opposite to what clients expect in 2 senses : a) what
they do with their people normally, b) what they pay facilitators to
actively facilitate

3. Aware but (block loop 2) wouldn't know how to market as a core method
of my career as a facilitator - take so much time to propose with so
little days work back etc

I guess this isn't big news to many alumni here, but has there been a
recent debate on whether there are any newly emerging ways to bust these
blocks?

A very small idea might be if we could come up with 9 other open methods
as a top of 10 of open. Perhaps if everyone in corporations could
recognise that innovation and self-organising depends on at least one
open method they already know, one could cross-fertilise the whole
family. Do you have any open methods to add to this top 10 shopping list
(if indeed you agree that items appearing are all open)

"Unbearable lightness of open management"- 10 most open methods of
innovating
1 open space
2 email (fully developed use of virtual teams, practice communities,
personal networks)
3 grounded theory (being an iterative opinion research method which
starts with a blank canvass rather than conventional wisdom on issue of
inquiry)
4 storytelling as iterative process in systemising communal energy,
emotional participation
-survey what's our greatest story
-see if people really participate in it
-see what change it systemically connects with

sincerely
Chris Macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk, www.valuetrue.com
<http://www.valuetrue.com/>  2004 Year of Transparency

Although nobody has filled it in yet, there is also an open format of
the mini-survey I have been carrying out at
http://www.knowledgeboard.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?forum=1
<http://www.knowledgeboard.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?forum=1&topic=66&commen
t=2097> &topic=66&comment=2097

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu, Visit:
http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html * *