unbearable lightness catalogue - urban design charrette

Kurt Nemes Knemes at worldbank.org
Wed Feb 11 18:30:56 PST 2004

unsupportable is probably closest to insoutenable, but putting unbearable next
to lightness evokes a great mental image.

Kurt Nemes, Information Officer
Information Solution Group
Client Relations Training Team
The World Bank, 1818 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20433
Email:  Knemes at worldbank.org
Tel: +1 (202) 473-2230,

                      Artur Ferreira da
                      Silva                        To:       oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu
                      <artsilva at mail.eunet.        cc:
                      pt>                          Subject:  Re: unbearable lightness catalogue - urban design charrette
                      Sent by: OSLIST
                      <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOIS
                      ESTATE.EDU>

                      02/11/2004 07:03 PM
                      Please respond to
                      OSLIST

At 18:23 11-02-2004 -0500, Winston Kinch wrote:

>The Unbearable Lightness of Being : A Novel by Milan Kundera

Thanks, Winston. It helps a lot. And it poses a different "language problem"...

If I recall well, Kundera's book was first published in French (in 84 or
something like that), with the title: "L' insoutenable légèreté de l'être".
And, as you know better than myself, "insoutenable" means "something that
can not be sustained" (does the word "unsustainable" exists in English?) So
I would never imagine that the English translator would translate that as
"unbearable"...

>I still remember almost "meeting" in Berlin...

We really had a "post-OST breakfast meeting". And a "breakfast meeting" is
a meeting, at least in IBM terms, isn't it?

Take care with the bear (Pooh, I mean)

Artur