unbearable lightness catalogue - urban design charrette

Kurt Nemes Knemes at worldbank.org
Wed Feb 11 18:27:18 PST 2004

Dear Artur.
Thank you so much.  I am a native English speaker and I didn't understand a word
of that messages about charettes or charognes or whatever.

Kurt Nemes, Information Officer
Information Solution Group
Client Relations Training Team
The World Bank, 1818 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20433
Email:  Knemes at worldbank.org
Tel: +1 (202) 473-2230,

                      Artur Ferreira da
                      Silva                        To:       oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu
                      <artsilva at mail.eunet.        cc:
                      pt>                          Subject:  Re: unbearable lightness catalogue - urban design charrette
                      Sent by: OSLIST
                      <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOIS
                      ESTATE.EDU>

                      02/11/2004 05:30 PM
                      Please respond to
                      OSLIST

Chris (and all):

Sorry to come to the language question again...

For those of us (a few in this list - and not growing - but the large
majority in the world) that are not natives of the English language, there
are words and expressions that are not easy to understand, if we don't have
the time to go to a Dictionary - and sometimes even if we do that :-(

For the sake of an "Open Space World", when possible please use words that
can be easily understood by foreigners, or at least - as Lisa does
sometimes - please clarify the meaning of the idiomatic or difficult words
or expressions that you use.

I suppose that I opened this mail, as, from the subject, I couldn't
understand anything... But after reading it I am still confused.

Can someone please clarify what does this mean: "unbearable lightness
catalogue - urban design charrette"?

"Unbearable" is "someone or something that we can not transform in a bear"?
And if something is "bearable" can we transform it/him in Winnie-the-Pooh
or in Christopher Robin? May I say (after looking at the Dictionary) that
"I can not bear" something that I can't understand? (E que nisso sou
semelhante a muitas outras pessoas, que não conseguem achar graça ao que
não percebem...)

And "charrette" is "a voiture pour porter des fardeaux, à deux brancard et
deux ridelles" or is it some English word that is not in my English
Dictionary?

With care and best (pluri-linguistic) wishes

Artur

---------