unbearable lightness

Chris Macrae Wcbn009 at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 19:40:06 PST 2004

Apologies if this term comes over confusingly in other languages

It does capture for me a big puzzle - it seems obvious to me (once it is
pointed out) that great facilitation of self-organising needs to be minimalist,
but traditional client sponsors in management positions seem to want to buy the
very opposite of minimalist; and even experts, like those in Organisational
Design,  whom I would have thought should be passionate about Organisational
Transformation seem to say (in some limited research I have done) that the
minimalism of Open Space can either be scary or unprofitable to propose

Of course, this pair of words, which in the english language seem memorable,
wasnt original in my mixing. As far I know they first came from the novel of
Milan Kundera "Unbearable Lightness of Being" - amazon review snippet:  In a
world in which lives are shaped by irrevocable choices and by fortuitous events,
a world in which everything occurs but once, existence seems to lose its
substance, its weight. Hence, we feel "the unbearable lightness of being" not only
as the consequence of our private actions, but also in the public sphere, and
the two inevitably intertwine.

sincerely
chris macrae