Academics from different disciplines

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 12:27:25 PST 2004

I would point out to your colleague, Peggy, that we had people from 25
nations with probably that many first languages at the Seattle
Practice of Peace.  We did not assemble data about the professional
disciplines represented at that conference but off the top of my head
I know there were many academics (John L. is a retired professor, many
participants have taught in universities including you Peggy, Anne
Stadler, me).  I don't think it matters that conference participants
are academics. . . I think that is just the ego-needs of some
academics to think they are a special breed.  Over the time I have
been on this OS listserv, I have seen a similar hesitation come up
over lawyers being a special breed to take into consideration when
contemplating OS or religious professionals being a special breed to
take into consideration or very VIP people of any ilk being a special
breed.

I don't think it matters that the constituents your colleague serves
are academics but you already know that, Peggy.  What do you think is
his real hesitation?