ethics and OS

Phil Culhane pculhane at magma.ca
Mon Aug 30 10:39:23 PDT 2004

I'm fascinated by your question, Raffi, and looking forward to the responses from the
list. I know one consultant who will not work with "defense" related companies (why do
they call it defence when they spend so much time (and money) on the offensive?...but I
digress!).

I'm not sure how OS would be used to destructive ends - unless destruction were the goal
of the group? OS by its very nature is not manipulative - the law of two feet seems to
take care of any of the self-important people with predetermined agendas, along with the
open invitation that tends only to invite people with definite passion. If a facilitator
were to bend or twist the principles and the law, it would all of a sudden stop being OS.

Best wishes,
Phil Culhane

On Aug 30, Raffi Aftandelian <raffi at pochtamt.ru> wrote:
> I am reposting this as it doesn't seem to have made its way on to the list...

constructive and destructive ends. Are there clients you have turned down or make of
point of not working with because the organization's mission (as one example) goes
against your values?

> For example, would you be willing to do an OS with a large forestry company known for
clearcutting if the aim of the OS was to make the company more effective in its work (to
profit more)?

> Are there people you would not "teach" OS to because you had a strong sense is that
they would misuse it?

> I ask these questions as I begin thinking about working with business. I have worked
almost entirely in the nonprofit sector, and only recently (in the past few years) have I
come to be more open to business.