The Dynamics of Emergence

Peggy S. Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sun Aug 15 20:00:08 PDT 2004

Doug,

Thanks for the feedback.

I've played with a number of ways to name the quadrants.  (In part because
it was only after the fact that I realized that what I'd laid out looked a
lot like Wilber's work.)  Receptive/Active, Chaos/Order, Feminine/Masculine,
Divergence/Convergence, Being/Doing are a few of the ways to describe this
territory.

I think you're right about my the quadrants in the diagram called "The Work"
being inverted from the rest.  I was playing with whether it was
collective/individual or individual/collective for a while.

Interesting your question about widening the gap leading to greater
emergence.  I can see how the picture takes you there.  So, I'm curious what
you see in this.

For me, it is increasing divergence that leads to greater emergence.  I
think greater diversity and a juicy, ambitious question creates the
conditions for greater divergence.  This creates more opportunities for the
resonance of discovering the personal is universal -- emergence.  I was just
making room for the fact that something happens in that space where
being/doing, individual/collective intersect.  That's where the
spirit/action is.  And Wilber's model misses it completely.

Peggy