OS and Ethics

Blake Mills CustomHousePro at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 07:20:00 PDT 2004

I am loving the discussion about ethics and OS.  I agree with everyone.
Here's my 2 cents.

 When facilitating a module on "Facilitating Ethical Conduct," within a
leadership seminar to corporate folk, we discuss this issue.  What's tough about
ethical issues is the conflict of two equally important values, for example,
justice vs mercy.  Difficult choice.  Does context matter?  Justice if your child
is murdered...or mercy for prisoners harshly treated.  For me, the more I am
clear on my values and principles, the easier the decision, but not without
some deep thought and looking at the context.

Here's two quick stories about how a consulting company handled their ethical
dilemmas:

About 12 years ago I interviewed with a well-known consulting group for a
position as one of the first women to join their company in the position of
"consultant."  The president told me why they were looking to include women.  They
needed to diversify their consulting group.  All were white males, mostly
young with a few older lions.  One major potential client asked them where their
diversity was in their consultants because their company valued it and couldn't
see working with a company that didn't show it in their business practices.
Hence the jump to interviewing and including women on their team to increase
business.

Also, a large cigarette company wanted them to teach their philosophy in
classes and do organizational consulting.  It was a potentially very lucrative
contract.  The conflict of values, ethical issue, was 'do we help a company that
makes a product that we do not condone?  (the company has a religious heritage
that strongly values healthy living, no caffeine, alcohol or tobacco).  I f
ound it amazing that there would even be a discussion about this or that they
would even pursue this client.  What they decided to do, after much thought, was
not pursue the contract but offer individuals within the cigarette company an
opportunity to consult with them on a one-on-one basis.

Does business (money) drive our values (when we don't know where the next
paycheck is coming from) or do we stand in the ones that are important to us?
Clarifying our own values is the most we can do and then acting on them.

Blessings,
Blake
PS:  wasn't "Values Clarification" a big issue in the 60's?  Hmmm........