Can we be space invaders ?? - similar experiences

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Apr 28 15:31:00 PDT 2004

The red ink is nothing but my passion showing through... :-) Actually it is
just an easy way of separating replies from the original message. No
particular meaning intended. On the subject of Space Invaders -- it is
strange, but I really haven't seen a good one in years. However in the
"early days" we did have a few. If you have read my book (The User's Guide)
you will have met The Naked Lady. That was a good one. But for a long time
now, I haven't seen a one. Which makes me wonder, Why? And I don't really
have an answer. I doubt that the world has become less controlling, power
centered, big egoed etc. It may have something to do with maturity -- The
maturity of Open Space. Back in the old days, OS had never been done before
-- and everything else that was being done was accomplished with tight
agendas -- in other words lots of control. And of course it never quite
worked out the way the meeting planners anticipated. In fact in my
experience there even arose a small group of folks who took it upon
themselves to make sure that The Process (whatever the Process was) was up
ended -- palace coup sort of thing.. Revolutionary sorts. When they hit Open
Space, some of them just kept on keeping on. But surprise! No
revolutionaries needed, at least of that sort. Now I don't really think that
OS is that well known that everybody now feels they can say their piece
without storming the battlements -- but I think the difference may be with
us, the facilitators. We know, either by direct experience, or because we
have been brain-washed by the OS community that this stuff really works.
This reduces our anxiety -- and Space Invaders (at least the really good
ones) feed off facilitator anxiety. But if you are cool? Well they don't see
any blood in the water, and go off to find some other victims. Or better
yet, just hang up the space invader mantle and go to work. Maybe?

ho

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: