convergence and action planning

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Mon Apr 26 18:10:34 PDT 2004

Hello All,

In the past two months I've facilitated two OST meetings with a twist to the
convergence.  Both groups moved to priority setting and action planning.
After meeting with the client, we chose a non-convergence -- re-opening the
space.  The larger of the two groups was around 100 people.  The management
team sponsoring the event desires to become more collaborative with each
other and with staff.

After considering the reports, I invited participants to generate next
steps, action items -- priorities based on their passion and interest in the
moment.  With both groups I set out paper and markers in the middle and gave
them an action report sheet as they generated a topic.  Rather than post the
topics on the wall, we left the topics in a circle in the middle of the
circle.  It was amazing to watch the "sense of circle" within the groups.
Participants walked around the inner circle to decide which session to
attend and clustering happened with the topics in most respectful ways.  It
was as if they didn't want to leave the binding community of the circle to
move to breakout spaces.

I was also moved by the fact that over 80% of the topics generated for
"action" were about individual responsibility. And that theme carried over
into the closing circle.  It was fascinating to work with the management
team in the post-meeting as they worked with creating an environment to
support that individual responsibility -- as they were working to change
their own ways of working!  I am truly impressed at the level of commitment
to change that I'm seeing.

In the midst of April showers in Atlantic Canada,
Judi

Judith Richardson, MA
Coaching & Consulting
Optimizing Performance, Potential and Profitability
www.ponoconsultants.com
www.emergentfeminine.com

Subscribe to our newsletter at www.emergentfeminine.com

Check out www.emergentfeminine.com for special programs and new products!