convergence and action planning

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Thu Apr 29 03:23:55 PDT 2004

Dear Judi,
I have used the process you described for several years now.
As I worked with it, it has become shorter and less complex. Seems it
is down to bare bones now.
I mulled over your process of  leaving the "topics" in the circle.
My experience is that groups will come up with "projects" (in German
I use the word "Vorhaben" which translates roughly to "a particular
thing I want to deal with") in fairly unpredictable numbers.
A group of 22 working a day in os having dealt with 18 issues came up
with 22 "Vorhaben" on the second day, a group of 230 having dealt
with 56 issues for a day came up with 11 "Vorhaben", on the second
day, etc. The number of "Vorhaben" seem to be more a function of the
nature of the group (everyone from a company or a loose network of
people from across town, etc.) than its size...still, the number is
pretty much in the fog.
So for the design I would be hesitant to leave the "Vorhaben" in the
circle....still, I like the idea of having them stay nearby.
To accomplish that, I place pinwalls (these are broadly used light
weight walls in these parts) in a circle just outside the circle(s)
created by the participants so that the "Vorhaben" are spread in a
second circle.
People then wander around looking at the various "Vorhaben", building
collaborating groups and eventually filling out "next step" forms
(these next step forms become part 2 of the book of proceedings,
often printed up by the backroom gang during closing ceremonies and
ready to take along as people leave).
I am tickled to keep hearing about the various variances and feel it
enriching my own practice.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

If you go t

http://www.openspaceportal.de/openspace/list/pictures/?event_id=105&ev
ent_table=os_list_veranstaltungen&event_type=2
and look at the last 6 pictures you get a visual impression of the
process
described
or
http://www.openspaceportal.de/openspace/list/pictures/?event_id=106&ev
ent_table=os_list_veranstaltungen&event_type=2
and look at picture Nr. 19 and 20

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:10:34 -0300, Judi Richardson wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>In the past two months I've facilitated two OST meetings with a twist to the
>convergence.  Both groups moved to priority setting and action planning.
>After meeting with the client, we chose a non-convergence -- re-opening the
>space.  The larger of the two groups was around 100 people.  The management
>team sponsoring the event desires to become more collaborative with each
>other and with staff.
>
>After considering the reports, I invited participants to generate next
>steps, action items -- priorities based on their passion and interest in the
>moment.  With both groups I set out paper and markers in the middle and gave
>them an action report sheet as they generated a topic.  Rather than post the
>topics on the wall, we left the topics in a circle in the middle of the
>circle.  It was amazing to watch the "sense of circle" within the groups.
>Participants walked around the inner circle to decide which session to
>attend and clustering happened with the topics in most respectful ways.  It
>was as if they didn't want to leave the binding community of the circle to
>move to breakout spaces.
>
>I was also moved by the fact that over 80% of the topics generated for
>"action" were about individual responsibility. And that theme carried over
>into the closing circle.  It was fascinating to work with the management
>team in the post-meeting as they worked with creating an environment to
>support that individual responsibility -- as they were working to change
>their own ways of working!  I am truly impressed at the level of commitment
>to change that I'm seeing.
>
>In the midst of April showers in Atlantic Canada,
>Judi

>Judith Richardson, MA
>Coaching & Consulting
>Optimizing Performance, Potential and Profitability
>www.ponoconsultants.com
>www.emergentfeminine.com
>
>Subscribe to our newsletter at www.emergentfeminine.com
>
>Check out www.emergentfeminine.com for special programs and new products!
>Get Ready to Reap the Rewards!
>
>Nova Scotia, Canada
>Phone: (902) 434-6695 Facsimile: (902) 435-1085 E-mail: judir at accesswave.ca
>
>*
>*
>
>To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:
>http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.