convergence and action planning

Kim Willing kim.willing at tassie.net.au
Fri Apr 16 11:56:36 PDT 2004

Thanks to those of you who replied to my earlier concerns re: convergence
and action planning at an upcoming conference (next week infact).

I have been surprised and delighted by the learning this has brought me and
I feel priviledged to be part of this learning in Open Space.  I celebrate
how much Open Space has enriched my life since I first heard Harrison talk
about it at a meeting in Sydney (I think it was with ICA, at the museum, in
1992 or 1993), and particularly since I had the courage and support to use
it after doing some training with Birgitt at Bacchus Marsh in 1999).

I have decided that at this conf, that, rather than voting/prioritising and
driving myself 'dotty', I will be opening the space again, when it comes to
action planning!!  So brilliant!  It really rings true for me - After
giving people the opportunity to read the proceedings, I will open the
space and invite people to nominate actions that 'call to them'.  I will
have 'runners' place those action topics around the room (a substantially
large room) rather than on an agenda wall, and when all are up, will invite
people to go to where their passion lies - the convenor will be with their
posted topic and be responsible for recording an action brief that outlines
their topic, their contact details, participants in action group, related
topics (from index of proceedings), immediate next steps etc.  By keeping
all topics and groups in the same (very large) room, people will have the
opportunity to co-opt, combine and to go to several groups.

After 45 mins (see how it goes), we'll reconvene in the circle for a 15 min
report back (each convenor stating first step only?) and then have closing
circle.

Phew - something like that anyway.  I'm very excited!  Will keep you posted.

Thank you so much.

All the best,

Kimberley Willing
GROUNDSWELL