that is the question

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Mon Apr 26 09:56:17 PDT 2004

all true, harrison.  though i think it depends on what "getting back to
work" is.  where it is more like general motors structure, then the
ritual is perfect and does bring what's already happened out into the
light in symbolic and practical ways.  in some places that are
overwhelmed with externazation of inner spirit, it's sometimes entered
into with some trepidation, but still seems to work.  it's just scarier
for some folks, which can be its own learnign.  where there is no solid
structure, but rather more of a sea of volunteers and community people,
then "open space" is pretty close to "getting back to work" and that is
the situation where i was first really noticing the value of
non-convergence.  it's always a question for me of what will seem most
real to these folks and how much to will they need to be continuing to
create their own structures vs. being able to rest back into existing
structures.  mixing TASC voting, non-converge, dots, and other hybrids,
there is definitely a broad palette from which to paint these
ending/beginning moments so as to match the furniture they already have.
michaelh

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates