that is the question

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Sat Apr 24 05:14:03 PDT 2004

Kerry -- I am not quite sure which stream you are flowing in -- but if your
comments about Action Planning / Convergence relate to some of the things I
said about -- "It is all action planning" -- I think maybe you misunderstood
me. I have not problem at all with convergence, priority setting, action
planning. In fact I am perhaps more rigorous and direct in my approach than
many others. I certainly like the idea of opening space again at the end --
however, my preference actually is a straight balloting procedure with the
TASC software or equivalent. I don't think it is a question of right or
wrong -- but I like, and my clients seem to like, the sort of decisive
conclusion that occurs when you have nice bar charts indicating the levels
of interest/passion attached to each of the issues. Certainly the engineers
like it. You can almost hear the folks saying -- Enough of this Open Space,
let's get some hard numbers and go to work. Actually I have heard them say
just that. I feel even more comfortable with this "direct approach" because
I know that in a real sense it probably isn't needed, or more to the point
it has already happened. I am not suggesting that everybody "knows" the
relative position of some of the more marginal issues -- but in terms of the
biggies, folks are already there. They may not always like what they know,
but knowing what is important doesn't seem to be a problem. So why do
something that has already been done (if I am correct)? Well, it makes
everybody feel good, brings closure, and may actually add something. But I
think the final part may be more important ceremonially and symbolically
than in terms of concrete contribution. And I love symbols and ceremonies --
as do most people, I think.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: