OS and convergence / Action Planning all the time

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Apr 23 15:30:38 PDT 2004

Harrison Owen wrote:

> Raffi raises a most interesting point. Action planning happenes when it
> happens. I know we tend to think -- First we do the open space and then get
> on to action planning, which usually involves some sort of convergance
> process and the like. There is a certain logic to all this, and doubtless it
> appeals to clients who may be a little nervous. But I think it may be the
> case that our logic blinds us to a rather different reality. I am not quite
> sure how to say this -- but something like -- It's all action Planning. From
> the moment the circle opens action planning is taking place (or not) -- but
> for sure the final hours of an OS are not the only time/space for action
> planning.

A great point Harrison, and exactly the reason why I hand out forms to
everyone at the end of the meeting which say "As a result of this
meeting..." and ask them to complete the sentence.  It serves as both an
"evaluation" form and, more importantly, captures a record of the bits
and pieces of activity that got started (and maybe finished) without
putting them into a more intensive action planning process.

Chris