So what should be done with the archieves now?

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Wed Apr 7 07:55:34 PDT 2004

Them is my sentiments, too.
I especially like:
...Open Space has been free. BUT I have always insisted that there is
a COST -- that we share...
That I think is a good chunk of the spirit that I experience on this
list: cooperation, mutual learning, broadening our practice,...
That might leave those lurkers in an awkward corner: relax, your day
will come with your gifts spilling into the discourse.
greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:06:39 -0400, Harrison Owen wrote:

>I think -- as a matter of fact -- that the situation at the moment re:
>archives is much the same as it has always been. Accessible to those on the
>list -- and of course that means that they have signed in and have a pass
>word. But Michael, or somebody with greater knowledge should answer for the
>technicalities.
>
>My concern, however, comes from a different place, and possibly a broader
>perspective. As I said in a note posted some little time ago, which simply
>re-iterated what I have said ad nausea, Open Space, from the moment I
>created, developed, stumbled into it (fill in the blank) is and has been
>free. BUT I have always insisted that there is a COST -- that we share what
>we are experiencing and learning OPENLY (what else?). This LIST has been and
>continues to be an incredible vehicle for sharing. Increasingly, it has
>become a global resource for anybody who wants to push back the walls of
>their world, ie Open Space. The nature of what we have shared covers a very
>broad spectrum from the perverse to the peevish to the profound -- and
>onwards to the philosophical, with multiple side trips to the technical
>details. In sum, it represents the full spectrum of our collective journey
>in Open Space, as we have chosen to share it. At no point in the history of
>this LIST has it ever been, nor was it intended to be, a private club. We
>have taken great pains, I think, to honor and respect each other, but at the
>end of the day the purpose of OSLIST, or at least my purpose for this LIST
>ever since I signed on -- has not been to provide a safe and secure
>sanctuary in which the members may communicate. Rather, it has been to build
>a body of knowledge and experience which will be available to anybody who
>cares.
>
>Speaking very personally, I can say that the fundamental purpose of my life
>has been to share whatever I am, have experienced, or might know -- with
>anybody who cared, to the extent that my presence, experience or knowledge
>might be helpful. Have I always been true to my ideals? Definitely not, but
>at least in terms of Open Space Technology, and all that I have learned
>about Open Space in my life and world -- I think I have given it my best
>shot. At a very mundane level, this is why I never chose to patent,
>trademark, or copyright Open Space. Certainly my books are copyrighted, but
>that was more a matter of convention, to say nothing of my publishers'
>wishes (after all they were investing the "big bucks" and wanted some sense
>of security). However, if you wander around the websites of the world
>dealing with Open Space you will find large passages of my material, and
>even my illustrations, presented without attribution. I am delighted! I know
>that Open Space is not about me. It is about US -- and that includes a whole
>mess of people who don't even know they are a part of US.

> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.