OS Poetry Contest--Inviting poets and lurkers

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 17:28:02 PST 2003

As Poet Laureate of this list, it is my pleasure to announce the OSList's
semi-annual Poetry Contest.  This traditional event has three purposes:

a)  To encourage the writing and sharing of original poems,

b)  To enjoy and celebrate each others' writing, and

c)  To choose a new Poet Laureate for the coming six months.

Here are the guidelines for this contest:

1.  There are no specific requirements about subject or form, but each poem
should include the words "I wonder . . ." in the title and/or body of the poem.

2.  Poems may be in any language, with or without English translation.

3.  Poems must be submitted in the month of November, 2003.  If you are
feeling especially creative, you may send more than one poem.

At the close of the contest, I will post all poems to the OSList, without
author identification, and each reader may use five virtual sticky dots to vote
for the poems that move and delight them.  The author of the poem that receives
the most dots will be the Poet Laureate for six months, with the
responsibility to run another contest in six months, and to support poetry writing and
reading in any way he/she wishes.

To maintain confidentiality, DO NOT SEND CONTEST POEMS DIRECTLY TO THE OS
LIST. Send them to jleshelton at aol.com with the subject line, OS Poetry Contest.
Include your name, e-mail address, and postal address, as the winner will
receive a small prize.

After the votes are counted, I will again post all poems to the List, with
author names and e-mail addresses, so you can share comments with the authors.

I'm hoping to have poems from both experienced poets and novices, anyone who
has a word to say.  This old, old poem from Rumi expresses the spirit of
invitation:

COME, whoever you are!  Wanderer,
worshipper, lover of leaving

COME, this is not a caravan of despair.