Fear and control (waxing lyrical)

Robyn pov at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 3 06:22:36 PST 2003

RE:
If you close those two hands - you end up with two fists. Definitely not
what we want.

~ (delighted laughter!) I pictured the closing of two open hands, like
an almond.  The result, according to a dear and wise women that I know,
is the mandorla, which has become a very powerful symbol for me in my
journey towards wholeness.

"Mandorla: Ancient Symbol of Wholeness
by Brian Jensen

The Mandorla, a symbol that is all but unknown today. It was used during
the times of medieval Christianity. It is an ancient symbol of two
circles coming together, overlapping one another to form an almond shape
in the middle. Jensen(1996) describes the Mandorla as similar to the
image of two Mandalas(Sanskrit word for circle) merging together until
an almond shape is formed in the centre. Also known as the "Vesica
Piscis", symbolizing the interactions and interdependence of opposing
worlds and forces. The circles may be taken to represent spirit and
matter or heaven and earth(Baldock, 1990)."

"Our own healing proceeds from that overlap
of what we call good and evil, light and dark.
It is not that the light element alone does
the healing; the place where light and dark
begin to touch is where miracles arise.
This middle place is a mandorla."
Robert A. Johnson

The place or space where chaos (the great yawn, the abyss, potential,
the field of dreams), and order (the beginning, the 'word', perhaps a
web) embrace. The resultant dynamic is the creative moment where there
is disarray and confusion, communication and mad fractal moments. This
is what OS represents for me.

Surrender is a concept that sits more comfortably for me, than "letting
go". I fall back into the open hands and am held. I am the sand.

Warmest regards
Robyn Williams
PERSISTENCE OF VISION
facilitates sustainability