typing their own notes...

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Wed May 28 11:57:20 PDT 2003

Hi Peggy,

You are absolutely right !!

I have found that the two arguments that often seem to work well are
"Most participants will actually be unwilling to leave this to a
secretary because they want to be absolutely sure the report is right"
"I have now done this X times, and this has always worked"  (and I am
sure your "X" must be quite high)

I have however found it useful to prepare the person who is takeing care
of creating a copied report out of all single ones for any attempts
of participants who just might ......... by saying "You coordinate this
thing, but you do not type anything except for the table of contents".

Your message also made me think of similar - well-meant but unproductive
- interventions by support staff the client has along (who are not
participants)
Does anyone have interesting ones to add ?

1.    After the time schedule says the first round is over or the secone
begins: "Gosh, its time to go and tell everybody they should stop
(start)"
2.    Oh my God, that (very important) person does not have any
participants who have signed up, what do we do ?
3.    That group is really becoming too big to function, shouldnt we
tell some people to go somewhere else ?
4.    Some people are already leaving, we should start our closing
circle
5.    Some reports are really much too short
6.    It will take us quite some times to take the spelling mistakes out
and make sure all names are spelled correctly !
7.    ..........................

If OS is the last part of an event, there may be too much (capable and
responsable) people around with too little to do.
I tend to try having them join the OS, and if that for some reason is
not possible (allowed), have a couple of things they can usefully do
without interrupting the process (such as taking pictures, creating a
participant list with E-mails and phone numbers - which here for some
reason
rarely are included in the first place)

Greetings from Denmark,

Gerard Muller