Open Space ,Self-Organizing Systems, and The Plexus Institute

glory ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Wed May 28 08:07:12 PDT 2003

  Hey everyone!
Taking Harrison up on his offer (thanks!) and, in response to the rich
replies so far, I am offering a few snippets for consideration in your
upcoming conversation.... generally speaking - I think I'm advocating a
research project that you and Plexus can co-sponsor, drawing on and
providing opportunity for all the diverse science types they attract...

If we are looking at a move away from fear and its manifestation as
control over the external environment and toward love, which supports
self-organization and emergence, then I think we are looking at
consciousness...

How do we change our minds regarding this? We have been conditioned to
limit our own power and to believe that others know better than
ourselves. We have been conditioned to be more conscious of external
states than internal ones... We are reinforced, societally, for our
ability to control, manipulate and influence 'externals'. The problem is
that, internally, this is problematic (how much frustration and
suffering are we willing to tolerate?) and somewhat self-reinforcing
(the more I control, the more I get on a material level). On a personal
note, I know I struggle with my own level of responsibility/empowerment
because when I look around, I see power abused. Do I want to become
that? Not! What else does it look like? What else could it be like?

It comes down to a matter of individual responsibility. This is
fundamental to our exploration of self-organization... our consciousness
limits, defines or, at least, influences what emerges. This seems a
relevant area of conversation and exploration. Open Space supports the
individual experience of self-organization as a possibility and
activates the learning curve re: personal responsibility based on our
highest ideals and deepest passions - a requirement for robust
self-organization, I think. Something along the lines of how OS aids in:
1) Connecting with passion
2) Taking responsibility for bringing it forward

Building on an excellent article be Richard Steel, wherein he outlines
conditions for emergence (Emergence in Organizations -
http://www.new-paradigm.co.uk), I compare below his criteria against
relevant exploration via Open Space.
1)Connectivity - opportunity to speak with many others, high quality
connections
2) Diversity - all topics accepted, diversity in invitees
3) Rate of Information Flow - length of breakout sessions,
butterflies/bumblebees, turnaround on reports
4) Lack of Inhibitors - circle/equality, personal responsibility for
learning (away form blame), whoever comes...
5) Good Boundaries - non-negotiables (instead of telling them what to
do, let them know what not to do - all else is free), open/closing time,
behaviours of group around this
6) Intention - clear goals for OS meeting, relevant issue/theme, desire
for answer, urgency of need
7) Watchful Anticipation - when it starts, when it's over, whatever
happens, etc... Be prepared to be surprised!

I guess my passion is that the scientific community hear about how OS
links in to all elements of self-organization... and decide to pursue
some action research around it!

Have a great chat, Harrison :-)

Best wishes,
Glory