Breathing .... again ...

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri May 23 04:56:32 PDT 2003

At 05:11 PM 5/22/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Second; I can't find (in my head as in my computer) the way someone
>described on the list about breating in Opening Space.
>I have an Open Space for an governmental organization in watermanagement,
>next week.  Somebody knows how the three breaths work??

I am not sure there is anything special here. Breathing In and Breathing
out seems to do it. Seriously, Breathing is rather central to our lives,
and when people do it together they tend to align and focus. This is
important at the very beginning in the circle. I find this happens pretty
much by itself, particularly if the initial "bounding the circle" by the
facilitator is done in a slow even manner -- the cadence of regular
breathing. If I feel this is not happening I will say something like --
"You folks look like you are a little hassled -- let's everybody take a
deep breath." One usually does it, maybe two. As for three -- why not. but
I think it is important to move as quickly as possible in the opening from
start-up to action -- all under the heading of thinking of one more thing
not to do.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive