Raffi's letter on Os and the women of Ingushetia

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue May 13 23:25:32 PDT 2003

Anne, Birgitte--

>From my own experience, I know the healing value of soul cleansing and soul
retrival work.  Anne is quite right in suggesting that such work can heal
soul loss and help a person be more present to their everyday life.

It is also true that any individual must be offered the choice to accept any
kind of healing treatment, whether a medication, psychoanalysis or
curanderismo.  Some might not be ready for this type of work.  Some might
feel that it conflicts with their religious beliefs.  Some might prefer some
other modality, or no treatment.

If some of the women in the refugee camps wished to participate in such
healing, it might be possible to find healers who were nearby and who work
within the traditions of that area.  I have met shamans in the area around
Lake Baikal, and have a friend who works with shamans in the Altai region,
including a woman who is a powerful healer.  But these two areas are not near
neighbors--Ingushetia is as far from the Altai as it is from Western Europe.

Anne's offer is intriguing to me.  And I agree with Birgitte that more time
may be needed to build the necessary trust.

I also believe that Open Space work has the potential for healing the
individual spirit, and perhaps it is one of the ways we do soul work.

Joelle Everett
Shelton, WA 98584