OS with kids - please advice

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Tue May 6 03:19:21 PDT 2003

Dear Gerard Muller

Good question: how young can children be to participate in Open Space?

We did an event with the youngest group convenor aged 12, who talked
about pocket money (weekly allowance).  She was assisted by a mentor.
Maybe some of the older kids could mentor younger ones and help them
frame issues and responses?  Another possibility might be to have a
parent mentor their child or other children?

Please let us know your experience.   We have just contracted for
three events with the Scottish Government's Education Department to
bring parents together with teachers to discuss assessment. We are
pressing to involve students in the process.

We believe that education is a growing area for Open Space. It's a
great way to change culture and start participatory democracy for
future decision makers.   We would like to share stories and
experience at OSonOS in Denmark this summer  and look at building
case studies and reference points for this and other sectors, such as
health care and corporates.

Cheers

Kerry Napuk
Open Futures Ltd.