convergence with

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Mar 6 09:56:52 PST 2003

yep, we did that in peoria, but for sure it's not *mine*...
standard user's guide stuff and the tasc software that's
been around forever (relatively speaking) and before i
arrived.

elsewhere... it seems all these weighing, voting, etc.
processes are asking what "should" we do.  i find more and
more that i'm interested in what "will" we do.  and that's
why i usually skip over the actual voting bit and reopen for
actions.  the questions i usually use are "what else? (to
finish lingering discussions) and what next?"  i like, too,
what harrison and some others mentioned at osonos this year,
something like "what is necessary to support this spirit,
action, work, project, whatever, going forward?"  this lets
people do all that processing and sifting in their bodies
rather than in the computers.  this seems what brian's
response of "what seems right for you" does, too.

i think the voting and the reopening can work fine together,
as well.  i'm not sure i've ever had the time available to
do both.

"(David Koehler)" wrote:

> Just to "weigh in" on the convergence issue. Michael
> Herman has the best system I've seen to gather
> priorities.  He has participants vote via computer, which
> weights a persons ten choices in rank order.  When all are
> done entering their picks, the software program quickly
> tabulates the results, which can then be reported back to
> the group before the closing circle begins.
>
> What I observed, when he did this at an educational OS in
> Peoria last June, is that the politics were taken out of
> the process.  Having done the dots before, I feel that
> in using the dot method, many people are influenced by
> what they see their friends doing.
>
> Maybe Michael would be willing to say more about this.
>
> Dave Koehler * *
> change your options, view the archives of
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu, Visit:

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
300 West North Avenue #1105