Glossary of Terms

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 6 19:47:16 PST 2003

Hello dear colleagues -

I am building a glossary of terms for Open Space / Open Space
Technology.  I will make this available for your reading pleasure and
your usage on my (soon, soon) website.

I am building this list in English, which is my home language.  Some of
these terms are very American, and you can help me by sharing with me
other words which are used in the English or other regions - and you can
also send me the words in your other home languages so I can list them,
too in the glossary.  I imagine that this might also help readers of the
Users Guide who may be reading the English version when English is not
their first language.  When I mean translation, please note that I mean
not literal translation of each word, but a cultural translation
capturing the nuance of these concepts or describing these items in ways
that your country's culture will understand - no need to teach people a
new vocabulary when we can describe each word in ways people will
understand through their own cultures and codes.  And I know this will
be very regional in many cases - for example someone from Mexico may say
something in a different way than someone from (hi, Jaime) Peru or
Bolivia.

For you English speakers, I do want to find definitions in English for
each of these words - let us not assume that those in other communities
of practice know what our words mean.

Because it is a glossary, and because I will attempt to put all
languages you send me into this glossary, please try to give me a phrase
or a sentence and not a paragraph for each word.

It's an interesting puzzle.  Who wants to play?  And: any words I'm
missing.?

Agenda wall
Book of proceedings (also known as proceedings)
Breaking news
Breakout spaces        (also known as Discussion areas)
Bulletin board
bumblebees
butterflies
Chaos theory
client       (often known as sponsor, host)
closing circle
Coffee break
Community bulletin board
Community marketplace          (also known as marketplace)
Complexity theory
convenor
convenor responsibility form  (also known as notestaker forms)
convergence
Easel pad, paper (also known as flip chart pad, paper)
evening news
facilitator (also known as practitioner)
Four principles          (also known as principles)
griefwork
grid          (also known as matrix)
Harrison Owen
holding space
invitation
issue        (also known as topic)
Law of two feet         (also known as the one Law)
marker
masking tape
matrix      (also known as grid or space/time matrix)
Medicine wheel
morning announcements
News room
Non-convergence
now
Open Space Institutes
Open Space on Open Space  (also known as OSonOS)
Open Space Technology            (also referred to as Open Space)
OSLIST
passion
post-its
responsibility