convergence with "stickie dots"

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 5 16:41:10 PST 2003

Hello, all -

When prioritization of key issues is part of the design in an Open Space
event, sometimes people post the original topic/issues signs (the ones
from the agenda wall) around the room.  Participants either read the
hand-written notes placed under each topic (if a book of proceedings has
not been printed) or read in their books for an hour or so.  Then they
place a colored adhesive dot on the "x" number of key issues (these
defined according to the design the facilitator creates with the client
-five things we can do on Monday, things we can do with no money, things
we want to move forward as hot issues to the so-and-so committee).  Or
they can make a mark on the items they feel should be moved forward.  Of
course there are other ways to see how the group feels about key issues,
such as reopening the space, creating affinity groups by standing by the
one issue they wish to champion, using voting software, etc.

For the method using dots or marks, does anyone have a mathematical
formula for deciding how many dots each participant should be given for
a certain number of key issues as an outcome?  For example - if you want
the group to highlight the 5 top issues for this group right now, how
many dots do you give each participant if you have 20 people, if you
have 200, etc.  And maybe you don't need to show the 5 top issues, maybe
you need to show the whatever-rises-to-the-top issues - you won't limit
the number but will call anything that is clearly a majority of votes a
key issue.  Does the math change?

I'm writing a paper on convergence.ideally you'll see it on my future
website if I ever can sculpt it (the paper - the website's coming
closer) into a manageable shape.

Thank you, dear colleagues,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t