convergence with "stickie dots"

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 20:51:48 PST 2003

Lisa--

This is a question I have wondered about also--but I am not a mathematician.

One phenomenon that I have observed with almost any method of convergence is
that a handful of ideas generally come to the top.  Don't know whether this
is a mathematical phenomenon or a reflection of underlying agreement in the
group, which may have been invisible up to this point.  Seems like it might
be related to the fact that the same conversation often goes on in several
breakout sessions, regardless of the posted session topic.

There are a lot of things in group dynamics which I can observe but not
explain. And I hope someone has a mathematical formula for deciding how many
dots to give out.

Joelle