Too Little Time

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Fri Jun 13 05:59:35 PDT 2003

Julie:

What is the size of the group?  This makes some difference to me in
terms of design.  If you really have two hours to both explore possible
next steps and close the event then I make this suggestion:

Do one round of people identifying the next steps for which they have a
passion, and then have them lead a 45 min or so of discussion making
flip chart reports.  I would facilitate the volunteering of people and
topics on flip chart and then assign them a physical space if the group
is of some size  (I've done this with groups up to 100 or so).  If it is
a group of 25-30 then posting topics and a regular opening can work in
30 minutes.

A brief 1-min report back to give a flavour before the closing circle if
often needed in these session for some sense of "convergence".  You
would then have 30 min or so for a closing exercise, with the talking
piece.  This could close the whole event.

I do not call it "Open Space Technology" but a taste of what the process
can do.  I don't think the "space" is really opened without the chaos at
the wall and a couple of rounds of choices.  When it is one round, it is
still clear that the facilitator is giving direction even though the
small group discussions will be self-organizing.  Self-organizing small
group discussions based on volunteer leadership are a part of many good
facilitation processes and can be energizing and productive.  I just
don't call it Open Space if it is one round and the topic generation is
more guided because of the time.

That's my experience and advice.

Larry

Larry Peterson