AW: Practitioner

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 12:40:04 PDT 2003

Reinhard--

I agree with you that practitioner is not a beautiful word.  I do think it is
a useful word.  It seems to communicate, at least in a limited way, across
diciplines and languages.  I like the distinction it implies the practice of a
particular discipline, not just having an interest or being a student.  And it
can be used for a variety of different kinds of practices.

Many people who use Open Space work in a variety of different fields or
modes, so it can be difficult to define just exactly what we do.  At least for me,
practitioner implies that we are working, and in a professional way.

As for "International  Forum of Visual Practitioners Association"--that
certainly is not a beautiful name.  Long, awkward, not a pleasing sound.  Maybe
this group could start over with the naming process, and listen to all the
suggestions aloud before deciding on a new name.  Visual Practice International
would have most of the elements.  The program where I learned about organizational
consulting had a very long and awkward name, but nobody ever used it and it
soon was shortened into an easier (but still not beautiful form).  You might
add a poet to the visual artists for a name committee.

Joelle