AW: AW: Practitioner

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Mon Jul 14 23:31:21 PDT 2003

Joelle,

you have a beautiful and peaceful way to say everything.

Still I am not convinced to use the word practitioner. Maybe because it
doesn't exist in German, we only have it as an adjective "praktizierend",
mainly used for medical doctors. Maybe because you can feel that this word
has been bent too often, coming from the wonderful Greek word 'Praxis' ,
deed or action. Maybe because I try to imagine to say 'he is an open space
practitioner' - so what does he practice? open space? or 'he is an Open
Space Technology practitioner' .

Maybe you could say: he or she is a space opener, although the space is
always open, as I understand it.

But now I stop to comment on this item!
Reinhard

VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
Kuchenmueller & Dr.Stifel

Munich Germany

Tel: +49-89-202 447 48

http://www.visuelle-protokolle.de

Reinhard--

I agree with you that practitioner is not a beautiful word.  I do think it
is
a useful word.  It seems to communicate, at least in a limited way, across
diciplines and languages.  I like the distinction it implies the practice of
particular discipline, not just having an interest or being a student.  And
it
can be used for a variety of different kinds of practices.

Many people who use Open Space work in a variety of different fields or
modes, so it can be difficult to define just exactly what we do.  At least
for me,
practitioner implies that we are working, and in a professional way.

As for "International  Forum of Visual Practitioners Association"--that
certainly is not a beautiful name.  Long, awkward, not a pleasing sound.
Maybe
this group could start over with the naming process, and listen to all the
suggestions aloud before deciding on a new name.  Visual Practice
International
would have most of the elements.  The program where I learned about
organizational
consulting had a very long and awkward name, but nobody ever used it and it
soon was shortened into an easier (but still not beautiful form).  You might
add a poet to the visual artists for a name committee.

Joelle