OS use - looking for similar use history

Darcy Cunningham darcyc at maine.rr.com
Mon Jul 14 12:38:54 PDT 2003

I am using OST in a (I think) unique way and wondered if others have done something similar and/or might have words of wisdom.  It does feel a bit risky - but- trust the process!

I am using using OS the final morning of a 3 day conference.   Over the previous 3-4 days people from all over the US will have attended workshops regarding issues impacting female offenders.  (participants will range from Corrections Officers and others in the corrections system, social workers, researchers, ex-offenders, educators, etc. )  Obviously when people leave the conference they return home to their own state adn state correction system.  There is no national body or group to make anything happen - just the participants themselves.

The purpose of this AM session is for participants (we expect 250-400 by this day) to begin the "what's next?" process - what have they been inspired by during the conf, what issue/challenge do they have passion to follow up with - and that they will convene a session on.  We have time for the market place and a single 1 hour session only.  (But even the market place itself will provide great data about what has inspired/captured people at the conference.)  They will meet, and the convenor will see that someone completes a form with who was there and what happened.  These will be either entered on the spot by volunteers (during the conf closing) or in the next couple days adn posted to a website for review.

We are hoping that some networks and partnerings are born here that continue past the conference - so the conference becomes more part of a change process than an event.   (the closing will be an OS circle and then a choir at the very end - so no more speakers!)

Have any of you done something similar?  Suggestions for the incredibly short time?? (am I nuts??)  I am counting on the 45-60 min rule of organizing for ANY size group!!
thanks
Darcy  in Maine