Continuity of week-apart sessions?

Laurel and Rick laurick at telus.net
Sat Jan 25 22:49:08 PST 2003

Hi Doug,

I've done this type of thing several times.  I did a complete opening for
each session - although, my openings are always rather brief (usually more
than 5 minutes, but always less than 10).  It's really important to me that
the openings are brief because it underlines the fact that the open space is
not about me, but about the attendees.  Since I've almost always had to do
very short sessions (3-4 hours), I've never wanted to squander any time!!
I've also found health care folk to be a bit resistant to anything they
perceive to be airy-fairy, so I'm very matter of fact about the opening and
tell them this is a very practical, efficient, albeit holistic, method.

As far as establishing continuity, I've done a series with hospice that used
the same question for each session, and even though several people attended
all the sessions, they were never bored and nobody complained about it being
repetitive.  The level of conversation seemed to get deeper with each
subsequent session regardless of the group - the ones who attend multiple
days with be like the bumblebees, bringing the conversation from the
previous sessions.  I think to sub-theme each of the days could cause you to
lose some of the depth.

Don't be worried about trying to organize too much - as always, each group
will self-organize and the results will be perfect.
When I first started doing short OST sessions, I was sometimes frustrated,
thinking that so much more could be done in more time.  However, I kept
telling myself that a little open space is better than none at all - and I
believe the participants always come away wanting more.

Have fun and good luck!

Laurel.

PS - sorry about the double posting - I sent the wrong one!!  :-)