Open Space and Social Change

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 10:07:42 PST 2003

Christine--

I have worked with a number of groups in similar situations over the years,
using a workshop called "Reinventing Yourself."  This is not Open Space,
though I think Open Space would work very well.  Mine is a series of
structured exercises addressing various issues--inner feelings, clarifying
the vision of what is wanted, finding energy and resources for making
changes, and some step by step implementation planning.

I've learned are that it is powerful to make space for addressing feelings
and inner issues.  I've learned that people need to get into concrete,
tangible things they can do for themselves, not stay at the level of
abstraction and blaming the problems on someone else.  And I've learned that
most people seriously underestimate the help available and the willingness of
others to help.  That is where your support group concept is so valuable.

I think you have an idea which is timely and powerful.  I wish you the best
of luck, and am happy to talk with you in more detail off-list, if you wish.

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington USA
jleshelton at aol.com
360-426-8517