Open Space and Social Change

Christine Kent christine_kent at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 16 21:55:31 PST 2003

Dear open spacers

I am about to launch a self help/support group in Melbourne, Australia for
mature age women who are dissatisfied with their work/income earning
arrangements.  I will be using open space to facilitate this group.

What I am doing seems to differ a little from the normal open space events,
in that it does not have a captive business audience and it is not about
solving a set business problem.  Rather, the purpose is to address the
issues being faced by increasing numbers of mature age workers who are
finding themselves limited in the workforce as a result of age-based
discrimination.

Many first world nations are addressing what they see as the significant
economic problem of the baby boomer generation being undercapitalised to
fund their own retirement.  This problem is currently being compounded by
the increasing levels of unemployment being faced by mature age workers,
thus further reducing their chances of achieving some level of financial
security by retirement age.

However, in all their discussions about what to do with 'us', they are
forgetting the human face of the problem and they are forgetting to ask 'us'
what we think we can do for ourselves.

The group I am starting will invite unemployed, underemployed, or
undervalued mature age professional women to get together, to share their
stories and
create solutions.  I have placed age, gender and employment type limitations
on the group initially because I want to start small and have a clear focus.
Once I can see what is happening I may well expand the group to other
profiles.  I am guessing
that the gender breakdown will remain necessary so that the participants can
be totally honest about their feelings, but if there are any men out there
who feel inspired to start a 'brother' group, I would love to hear from
them.

I intend to publish our experiences on a wiki for all to see - we are yet to
finalise arrangements for that and any suggestions will be gratefully
accepted.  We are also planning to be beyond party politics - with no
particular political alignment - although that does not mean that we will
not put pressure on whichever party happens to be in power if that is seen
to be a suitable course of action.

If any of you have started or run similar groups I would love to hear from
you - how you did it, your experiences, your advice - anything you have to
offer in fact - on list or off list as appropriate.

Regards, Christine

Ph: +61 3 97376770
Mobile: 0407 604010