Question about "top manager"

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Thu Jan 16 23:44:17 PST 2003

Dear Ulrika,

I would suggest you take a meeting with the manager before the Open
Space, for different reasons.

1.   To find out whether she/he supports the event and is open for any
outcome
2.   To assess to what extent the person is likely to be able to catch
the athmosphere
      and understand what has happened at short notice what has happened
before the closing
      circle starts
3.    To explain how to process works and what to expect
4.    To agree how the manager will be briefed upon arrival
5.    To discuss the closing statement.

I normally tell the person who speaks last that nothing needs to be
prepared, but spend some time with the sponsor during the process
(typically right after the agenda is made, during lunch and just before
the closing circle). In this particular case I would make sure I had 10
minutes with the manager before the closing circle starts. It is easier
if the manager has nothing prepared and is able to improvise. What I
would suggest is to say (a) what is your impression ? (b) thank everyone
(c) how will you take the results forward. I would strongly advise
against attemting to make a summary contentwise, or - even worse - to
talk about things which have no direct relation to what has happened in
the event.

Usually this works. On several occasions haven spoken to the manager had
the effect that the manager at least attended the opening (and in some
cases did not leave as planned).

The worst scenario I have experienced was where an organisation who held
an Open Space on the event of their 50-year existance in their wisdom
decided to invite their boss three levels up
(the Minister) to come and make a closing speech. After let's say some
dfficult discussions we ended up with the director of the organisation
closing the OS (in 5 minutes), all 250 participants than moving
physically to a party tent which had been hired for the occasion, get
themselves a drink and listen to the speech. In that way, the Open space
was the open space and it was clear to all that the speech was something
else.

I hiope you find this useful,

Mange hilsner fra Danmark,

Gerard Muller