Help with Democratic Party

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Jan 13 17:48:19 PST 2003

> Kerry Napuk said:

 > Maybe it would be simplier, smarter and more effective if we all left
> the Democratic Party and joined Ralph Nader.  After all, it would be
> in the spirit of the law of two feet.  And his party should be more
> open to bottom-up participation.

I find Nader to be just as win/lose oriented as any mainstream US
politician.  However, using the law of two feet in this area strikes me as a
very good idea.

>Agneta Falk...offered a link to:

>Another web page which has a lot of interesting papers on deliberative
democracy is www.co-intelligence.org.

Ironically, about the time this conversation was underway on the OS list,
I'd sent a message to Tom Atlee, creator of the co-intelligence web site
Agenta referenced.  Here's my message:

I've been thinking for a while about what a co-intelligent political
campaign might look like.  And what I pictured was the politician moving
from location to location, bringing diverse folks together in dialogue about
complex, important issues.  And when that person is covered by the press,
s/he's speaking about the process and ideas that come from the people.
Also, that s/he's not alone on stage, but has those folks, of all political
stripes, who participated in these citizen councils by her/his side,
speaking about their experience and their solutions.

As I thought about who is already in the system who could pull
this off, the politicians that came to mind, are Governor Kitzhaber and
Congressman Kucinich.

Since you live in Oregon, how about approaching the Governor on actually
starting a presidential bid based on this sort of model?

Peggy

So, is there something in the wind?

Peggy