How explain/demonstrate OS to Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, etc.?

Diane Gibeault dgp at cyberus.ca
Sun Jan 12 12:35:55 PST 2003

I agree with what you said Harrison. The demo can easily be seen for its cute tricks, another flavour of the month, especially if there is little time for them to understand and feel the tandem passion-responsability at work.

If there is no time or equipment for a video, I explain OS by telling a story of how it happens "Imagine a room with only a circle of chairs, as people arrive.....", I describe what happens, how people act - react at different stages, why (the principles flow in naturally here), what results can be expected, concrete (6 concrete ones as they are listed in the OS book) and the intangible results (the spirit and deep communication, commitment that generaly occurs ). I then answer questions using examples of experiences of other groups and using comments from sponsors and participants. They are usually passionate themselves by then.

The story telling is one approach that has worked well for me.

As long as people at the end are focussed on the let go, the trust and the passion side of OS, the possibilities for empowerment, of real open communication and authentic participant enthusiasm as opposed to OS's neat facilitation tricks such as post-its that people easily zoom into, whatever we do to get there is probably OK.

Diane