How explain/demonstrate OS to Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, etc.?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 12 06:06:16 PST 2003

At 08:32 AM 1/12/2003 -0500, Doug. Germann wrote:

>How would you explain or demonstrate OST to a Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions or
>other service club luncheon meeting?
>
>I have been invited to bring to a local Rotary club word of an OS on the
>topic "Doing Something About Senior Healthcare and Well-Being." It will be
>an invitation to them to come and take part. I will have 15-20 minutes to
>make my presentation.
>
>A couple of weeks ago someone on the list suggested that we can demonstrate
>OST by giving people a sample opening, complete with flip chart paper and
>markers and having them announce their topics. That intrigues me, a lot.

I know that others may disagree, but I find that "demonstrating" Open
Space, particularly in a very short period of time, to be less than useful.
There is no question you can go through The Motions -- but then it turns
out to be just that -- Going through the Motions". We know that Open Space
runs on peoples's passion and responsibility, and if neither are there, not
much happens. So  at the end of a brief demonstration the usual reaction I
have encountered is -- Is that all there is? And of course, without passion
and responsibility (and time to express both) that is all there is. And it
is not much.

An effective alternative, and one that I have used often, is built around
the USWEST video which portrays a high stakes, intense, conflicted, and
"successful" Open Space with real folks doing real things. Even in the cold
medium of video, the passion comes through, and you can see the
responsibility happening. The video consists of a number of interviews with
the same group of folks over the course of the 2 and 1/2 day event along
with a voice-over by yours truly describing the process and background. And
the whole thing is very short -- 13 minutes. My format is simplicity
itself. A few comments up front about, "This is Open Space. It is very hard
to describe, so I won't try. Just watch this video. And when the video is
over, I take questions. Seems to work every time.

Peg Holman <peggy at opencirclecompany.com> can get you a copy of the video
for a small fee. I think this might be an essential tool for anybody who
feels called upon to spread the word about Open Space, for whatever reason.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA