development programs

john engle englejohn at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 2 07:50:29 PST 2003

dear carla,

about a year and a half ago a couple colleagues and i created an opportunity
for a group of people from different organizations to create a training
program for themselves. while there are obviously differences to your
situation, the fundamentals are similar, i.e. you wish to allow participants
to create their own learning program. i posted this on the list serve about
a year ago:

Date:  Mon Nov 19, 2001  3:06 pm
Subject:  a two squared experiment

I am in the midst of a fascinating open space experiment. I think it merits
the "2 squared" title. We are roughly 25 people coming together every
month from all around Haiti for two full days. We have been meeting since
May 2001. Our group is made up of community and/or non-governmental
organization leaders several representing national farmers associations. We
function in open space for these two days and our objective is to learn more
about project development, management, and how to cultivate and access
resources - human and material. For a more indepth description go to:

http://www.beyondborders.net/Discovering%20Resources.htm

Prior to May, four among us had open space technology experience.  The very
first time that this particular group of people met together was May of this
year for a full day of open space. Our theme was: "Developing a training
program which will enable us to learn more about project development,
management and accessing resources." We had funds for one additional meeting
only. We informed participants that finding funds for whatever training
program we developed would be the group's responsibility.

My unstated objectives was to promote the use of open space.
When participants were creating their own learning program, I insisted, if
they wanted my conitinued participation, that each meeting would follow open
space technology principles. We decided that we would invite guest speakers.
I indicated that the open space format could accommodate this and that we
would simply inform them how it would work. Participants would always have
freedom to choose how they wished to spend their time.

Those present at the May meeting were responsible for designing every other
aspect of the training program: curriculem, materials, calandar, means of
evaluation, etc.

We are half way through the one year program which we created for
ourselves. During the November meeting we developed and began carrying out
an evaluation for our program to-date. In order to get an idea of
participants' perspectives on open space, November's facilitator Fremy Cesar
- each month a different person facilitates - asked for comments. Here are
remarks from six participants:

1)Open Space, eliminates the spirit of inferiority.  The playing field is
leveled. We're all equal. I have begun using it with my groups.

2)Yesterday I was facilitating a seminar. There was one person attending who
did not know how to read and write.  She was the oldest person present. My
experience with open space technology made me particularly sensitive to her
situation within the group. To make sure that she did not feel alienated and
that other group members did not discount her, I checked all group decisions
with her, "Rosalina, you have more experience here than any of us. We
appreciate the wisdom you have.  Are you comfortable with the decision of
the group?" It worked out great.

3)Open Space has removed tradition bound notions within my attitudes. I am
living the spirit of a popular educator. Each of us are learning, one from
another.

4)There is not a better method. I've been facilitating groups all of my
adult life. Meeting facilitation is my life. I've been writing a book on the
subject. Experiencing Open Space is causing me problems. I have had to
rewrite every single chapter in my book. Open Space is forcing me to rethink
my assumptions and practices.

5)With Open Space, there are not ideas that remain hidden or unspoken.
Everything emerges.

6)I can't imagine that there could be a better method for enabling a group
to discover its potential.

During November's meeting, our group also decided to create a network of
open space practitioners that would continue meeting and learning from one
another even after this particular training program was completed. The group
determined that the network would function based on open space principles.

John Engle
Port au Prince Haiti

http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp