global perspective

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 04:02:57 PST 2003

Dear Christine

You are right, it is a global dismay probably affecting every western
and many non western countries.  What happened to democracy?  More
importantly, what happened to citizen participation?

I am wary about seeking "solutions."  As CF Kettering said, "every
problem today was once a solution to another problem."  We are not
always best served by seeking answers, which lead us to incremental
change and more frustration and confusion.

 From my humble experience, we need a quantum shift in values and
attitudes leading to new behaviours that are much kinder to humans
and the environment.

Our conundrum, therefore, is where do we start and with what?

Open Space offers a proven process for people to at least talk about
important things.   Most of our institutions seem to channel or
prevent dialogue between citizens.

It's discussion that is missing and dialogue promises a wonderful
vehicle for a positive future.  Moreover, we don't need to leave
people behind.  As Theodore Zeldin wrote: "Conversation demands
equality between participants ,,, Its enemies are rhetoric,
disputation, jargon and private languages, or despair at not being
listened to and not being understood."

Cheers

Kerry Napuk
Edinburgh