Business Analysis and Training

Christine Kent christine_kent at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 4 14:54:12 PST 2003

Hello All

I am a very recent newcomer to open space, and am finding that wherever I
look and whatever I do, I see how it could be done better using OST.

I wonder if there has been any discussion on this list about the use of OS
in the software development lifecycle?  I have done a quick trawl of on line
resources and have not stumbled over anything yet.

I am a business analyst/technical writer/trainer, mostly of software
systems, and I am talking to some people at the moment about using an open
space process.  There are aspects of software development that we know to be
ineffective and to work largely because of self organisation rather than
because of  the development methodology being used.  The vast part of
information management, ie, getting information from the business and
communicating it back to the business works despite systems rather than
because of them.

The aspects that interest me are the potential of open space to improve data
collection, data management and communication.  Firstly, has it been used
during the business analysis phase, where the full range of business
requirements of the new system are collected?  Secondly, has it been used to
then design the collation and storage of that data using open technologies.
As a third step, has it then been used to solicit from the users what
support materials they need and how they want them presented, and fourthly,
has it ever been used to actually train something as apparently 'fixed' as a
software system?

If anyone has any direct experiences with any of these phases, business
analysis, data storage, support materials design, or training delivery, or
if there is anything archived, I would love to hear it.  I can see ways of
doing each of these using OS which I am sure will work, but they are
sounding far fetched to my colleagues (even leaving aside any discussion of
the esoteric aspects of the process).  So I need more than my own
imagination to go on.

Regards, Christine
Ph: +61 3 97376770
Mobile: 0407 604010