Are We There Yet - long

Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 13 16:44:42 PST 2003

Ralph
You asked who are "We" in the context of our conversation we covered all
people who are part of organisations where people interact/work to achieve
some end.  Therefore "we" includes business and community.  We also
includes people like us who are part of the world of leading or
facilitating effective business/community growth or operation in a changing
world.

"There" This could be that destination we all seek in our own business or
the business of our clients.  "There" also refers to the concept that we
have some distance to go before we find our destination.  "There" can also
mean that we may not be able to see the "here" now so one answer to the
question is that we are here!   As we explore this further one
interpretation might be that in our quest to get to the destination we fail
to notice that the real experience is the journey.  In our haste to work
with a client we may not take the time to assess the current assets of the
client and the people who are part of that client.

So, the question (from my point of view) was a challenge to how I view the
client/myself and how I interpret the territory.  One thing that Open Space
thinking has shown is that when the right people come and they are truly
able to be an active part the solution(s), first steps and all the other
stuff we talk about comes from within the individuals and the group.

The conclusion is that we, individuals and groups know what works for us.
The references tell us that this wisdom is not often contained in the
physical plans, procedures and structures of a group or business.

Ralph I trust that this is a start to answering your question.
Robert