FACILITATOR AS PARTICIPANT

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Dec 31 09:34:04 PST 2003

Hi Marks and Peggy:

Peg, thanks for tossing out the Spirited Work reference.  Marks IS just
down the road from me in a wonderful place that could easily host
Spirited Work when it comes to Bowen Island, ain't that right Marks?

So my advice is to take Peggy's advice and start working with the
stewarding model for this retreat.  It's entirely likely that it will
not be the first time such a model is used at Rivendell!

In a more general vein, I have convened a number of OST events where I
have also been the facilitator and participant, and they have all been
fine.  As discussed in a thread a couple of months ago (October I think)
it requires a subtle appreciation of one's role and a keen awareness of
how open the space is, but it is manageable, at least in my experience.

And if you feel that it isn't, there are a few OST folks on Bowen who
might itch at the chance to open some space for Rivendell.

Happy New Year to all.

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada
http://www.chriscorrigan.com
chris at chriscorrigan.com

(604) 947-9236

Peggy
> Holman
> Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 8:33 AM
> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> Subject: Re: FACILITATOR AS PARTICIPANT
>
> MessageMarks,
>
> In Spirited Work, the convenors are also participants.  We also did
this
> for
> the Practice of Peace at Whidbey on Nov. 9-12.  I think it works
because
> it
> isn't a single person caring for the space but a group of us.  Our
pattern
> is to have two people each day who are specifically designated to open
the
> space and pay attention throughout the day.  Even while doing this,
they
> participate.  I think this works because of what Harrison said:
>
> It seems that the group pretty quickly figures out how to hold its own
> space, and then everybody is free to follow their druthers.
>
> Part of the preparation is that the group who is convening meets a few
> hours
> earlier to reflect first silently and then out loud together.  We
notice
> what is up for us individually and speak our intentions for the whole.
At
> that time we walk through any material needs or questions and decide
who
> will take responsibility for which days.  I think this prepares the
field.

> We also start every circle of the whole with about 5 minutes in
silence.
> This does amazing things for bringing people into a common field.
Subtle,
> but it seems to make a difference.
>
> Over time the Stewards (this is a self-selected group open to any who
feel
> called that has commited to dealing with governance for the whole)
have