OST and conflicts

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 13:13:49 PST 2003

Conflicts! I love them - well sort of. Truthfully, it is a love/hate
relationship. I love them because when I see conflict, I know something
useful is happening. In fact, anytime I run into a group/organization
without conflict, I am pretty sure it is dead, or close to it. Show me
an organization without conflict, and I will show you one where nobody
cares. Conflict happens, in my experience, when passions get in the way
of each other. Of course we could try and get rid of the passion, but
then it is unlikely that anything useful would get done. And there is
another way - just create enough room so that the (presently conflicted)
passions can pass by each other. That is called Opening Space.

In the situation you described you noted, "Although my intervention went
very well (the subgroup decided to discuss the issue with the entire
group, which agreed, and we went on with a mediation process in the
circle where I helped the group clarify issues around clans and
developing solutions to prevent/heal the negative side effects of
natural grouping within the larger group), I felt like we had stepped
out of the OS process, burnt a lot of energy, and lost some of the
creative power of the OS process."

Doing what you did (intervening) is a pretty natural response, after all
it is what most of us were trained to do. And - so far as I can see, the
results of this activity are usually as you describe (burnt energy, lost
power). If there were no alternatives, I would guess this price must be
accepted. But, as suggested above, there is an alternative. Just open
some more space. Easy to say - but what if . . .

Sure things could get out of control, really get messy. But the amazing
thing to me is that in almost 20 years of working in Open Space I have
never been with a group which was unable to effectively deal with
whatever level of conflict they encountered. And not only deal with it,
but grow and mature -- all without intervention of any obvious sort.  No
conflict resolution, no stress reduction, no nothing. The group just did
it all by themselves.

Granted, the experience can be pretty much of a "White Knuckle"
experience - not unlike coming down an icy mountain road at speeds you
shouldn't even think about. But after all, the comfort of the
facilitator is not a primary concern to anybody but the facilitator.
Which is one of the reasons why personal preparation for the
facilitator, prior to Opening Space, is no small consideration.  Also
there is more than ample compensation for the facilitator. I have been
privileged to have been part of a number of such experiences, and I can
say without any qualification that nothing in my life demanded so much
and fulfilled me so completely. If the group grew with the experience, I
just soared. I must also confess that in the moment, I was not at all
sure that I really wanted to take the trip, indeed I could think of any
number of things I would rather do. But at the end of the day(s) - and
they were long ones, I learned more about the potential of Harrison Owen
than I probably had any right to know. And also I think I came closer to
fulfilling that potential than I had any right to expect. If you want a
brief account of such a moment, you might check out my story from Rome
with 50 Palestinians and Israelis.
http://openspaceworld.com/opening_space_for_peace.htm

Harrison