OST and conflicts

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 02:54:52 PST 2003

Dear Mike Copeland

Write-on, Mike.  If people are in conflict during open space, let
them resolve it or move onto another break-out group.

We did an event once when seventy percent of time was dominated by
the past, i.e. management's failure to recognise the demand by staff
to form a union.   As a result, everyone had to deal with the baggage
brought into the Community before dealing with future issues and
actions.  It was not the best of events, but it did move the past
into the present and left some space to work on the future.

Maybe we should revisit the role of the facilitator and look at
boundaries.   I am there as a professional facilitator, which means
sticking to the process with honesty and integrity.  This may involve
Harrison's famous admonition to "do one less thing" or hold up a
mirror to participants, reminding them it's their event and their
outcomes.

Would someone please briefly explain what Non Violent Communications
(NVC) is and how it works?

Cheers

Kerry
Open Futures