AW: my family (mother list)

Catherine Pfaehler c.pfaehler at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 9 14:02:38 PST 2003

Esther, Marei – one reason why open space can be difficult for some, in my
own experience, is that its participants are assumed to be healthy, mature
human beings (I assume). Who e.g. have a clear sense of borders, know what
is good for them and what is not, and are able to say “stop” or make use of
the law of the two feet when they need to do so. Those of us who have had
their borders (is this the right term in English? In German, it stands for
“Grenzen”) disrespected as children or later in life, perhaps even without
knowing about it, might find open space terribly unsafe, perhaps even in
some way threatening to them – even if it also bears great and wonderful
chances for healing, when one is ready for it.

The European Open Space conferences have accompanied me from 1989 to 1997,
“coincidentally” during a period of precisely such a process of dealing with
early injuries and unclear borders. It was a fascinating and very healsome
journey, and I also appreciated my therapists’ help along the way very much.
During the same period, I also learned that every soul has its guardian, who
lets in as much as can be dealt with at the moment, not more. This helped me
to respect what looked like limitations in close persons as a healthy way of
protecting their relative well-being or sanity.

Ho!

Catherine Pfaehler
Kellersriedweg 8
CH - 2503 Biel